Monday, October 17, 2011

Communion with the Energizer Bunny

This weekend was tough. Things did not go exactly according to plan. Last Thursday my roommate and I walked out of the house to go to church like the good girls we are. When I tried to start my van absolutely nothing happened. I'm not kidding. Nothing. No sound, no cough, nada. Okay, the battery was dead. No big deal. I would just get a jump after church. So we went to service in the roommate's car and then a friend followed us home and gave me a jump. That was a fiasco in itself. I had never had to give Mr. Miyagi a jump before. It was an unusual experience getting the cars lined up the right way. I fell and bruised my left knee quite badly attempting to push Mr. Miyagi into position.

So we finally got the vehicles in a configuration that worked (my battery is located under the floor behind the driver seat). She gave me a jump, the van started. We let it charge for a while and then unhooked the cables. I tried to start it again, just to be sure. Nothing. Nada. By this time it was too dark and too late at night to really do anything, so it all had to wait until Saturday morning at which time I unhooked the battery and took it to an auto part store where it was tested and confirmed irreversibly dead. Okay, so I just bought a new one and put it on.

I am making light of this whole taking off and putting on of the battery, but it was my first time to ever attempt such a feat. It was really quite an adventure. Don't laugh. I am learning as I go. Stop laughing. You know who you are and I know who you are. So with a good deal of effort and some help from my trusty sidekick *grin* the battery replacement was accomplished and construction could go forward, or at least it would have if the power saw had arrived on time. As it was, not construction was accomplished on Saturday as planned. Still, it was a job well done.

Now please send prayers that it actually was just an old useless battery and not a bad alternator draining it lifeless. We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. Not many people would pair the words "adventure" and "battery" sweetie. But not many people sport such a unique existence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been living in a van for 3 years. I'm moving into an '87 Toyota like yours when I get the papers for it. Most of the interior panels are missing, And the roof inside is bare. This is my 5th van/home.

    What are you planning for insulation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Promise to cover insulation soon. I am putting it in the van today actually.

    ReplyDelete